Friday, February 11, 2011

Prepared my GM for Chairman of UCIL

I had an exciting week. My boss had to give an interview for UCIL and he asked me to prepare a roadmap for the company.

I get-to-understand a company from it's financial statment. So first of all checked out last 10 years balance sheet/P&L statment.

ROA and ROE for the company was around 3 to 4%, I knew a lot can be done in the company. I did 2-3 hours of analysis and my GM called me for update.

We discussed and came up on a conclusion that our roadmap would not be finance driven(my approach) but sustainability driven. So I started working and came up with roadmap1 which had three parameters i.e. Social, Environmental and Financial parameter.

I read about Industry and International Competitors and came up with things that competitors have been doing for Social, environmental paramters.

Then I compared the company on financial parameters vis-a-vis management effeciency such as
ROE/ROA measure of Mangement
PAT/Sales and Sales/Asset measure of Operation
Debt/Credit Cycle measure of Operations
Debt/Equity and Asset/Equity measure of Finance

And on all the parameters the company came up weak. So we had a good roadmap. Also I talked to a person in UCIL who gave inputs on operational inefficiency.

Thus we had good stuff about the company. Now only thing required was future path for the company.

So we came up with a thrre prong strategy for the company.
1. Diversify vertically (no horizontal diversification as there was good potential)
2. Explore Mines
3. Make Company Financialy/Operational sustainable.

And then we drilled down in each of the topics. My GM went for the interview and secured 2nd rand for being Chairman. I was happy that my inputs were successful.

Question that were asked to him
1. About himself highly qualified.
2. Similarity between UCIL and SAIL business planning.
3. Any Mining experience?
4. Intellectual - Aspiration vis-a-vis constraint
5. What would he bring to table?
6. Who should be preffered a person from Urnanium Industry or other Industry.

I think for "what would he bring to table" he should have given the roadmap and then said a combination of Finance + operation acumen along with having nag for innovation would be on table if he was chairman.

And reply to 6th question would have decided his 1/2nd position. His answer should have been candidate should be good on finance+business+operation and should be innovative. I the person from industry has good finance+business acumen then he should be a good candidate.

And if the person from other industry is good then operation would not be a problem for him.

No comments: